Friday, July 26, 2013

Finding a Voice When Literacy Isn't Their "Thing"

He (I’ll call him “A”) sits in the back of the room, refusing to write. “I didn’t read it anyway,” “A” grumbles. 

Yet, when I probe more deeply into the driving questions about Montag and Mildred and government control and the power of books, he virtually leads the class discussion—books and the written word are how people stay free in the confines of a totalitarian system. 


 “A” references something Mr. Fusco, his history teacher, said in class, but when I ask him to bring in an article to share to explain it more deeply—double brownie points, I add, hoping for more motivation—“A” shuts down. 


 “A” is a real young man but represents many of the young men I’ve had over the years, young men who I have always struggled with not to pass tests or do homework, but simply to engage in the reading & writing process.

 In his book Holding On To Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones, Thomas Newkirk types my “A” into these lines:

 “These boys who have the experience of being behind, of not being good at literacy—and they number in the millions—soon turn a difficulty into an identity” (Newkirk 105).

At some point throughout the years, maybe it was one day, maybe it built up, “A” started to identify himself as “not being good at literacy.” We discussed it often. He hates reading. He hates writing. For independent reading, I bought him the hard cover of Chris Kyle’s American Sniper: Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper “A” had been wanting to read and he took it, excited, ready to care for the new, “fresh”-in-more-than-one-way book, but he never read it. Dabbled here and there. But he never read it. 




I conceived of as many ways as I could to engage “A” in more than just the incredible conversations he could maneuver. But it was difficult. Very. Until it came to our Making a Change, Taking a Stand work.

His driving question was “Why is MMA the best?” After some tweaking and important discussion about assumptions limiting the scope of research, we settled on “How is MMA superior to other sports?” The part of me that wanted to push him into something more academic surfaced and I let it go immediately. That part is ingrained in me; it’s that we-have-to-make-our-kids-do-more-rigorous-tasks voice that Charlie Brown’s teacher’s itself into our eardrums daily. But I let him do it. Why? Because it was the first time he didn’t identify himself as not good at what we were doing, because he didn’t even have time to stop and consider that he was actually reading and writing.

Maybe it wasn’t the literature of the curriculum, but he was after school every day exploring sites, seeking out reputable sources, writing his annotations, his counter arguments, his body paragraphs. He was sharing with me, with our whole class what he discovered and he loved it.

When Newkirk writes “Ultimately we don’t read to read, or write to write. We do both because of some interest in the subject—and some desire to share that interest with others” (Newkirk 141), he gets it. He gets “A” and many of the boys (and girls) that “A” represents. Because “A” had a desire to share his interest, he shed his “not good at it” attitude & embraced the voice he had to share.

 Here’s his blog & something he was quite proud of. And though it isn’t polished or perfect and likely hasn’t been seen by anyone other than our class, he had a voice, he opened up to the reading and writing process.

 Now that’s an idea that I’ll hold onto in this time of bad ones.

3 comments:

  1. Anne,
    Sept 22 starts Banned book week. For the second year in a row, readers from around the world can participate in the Banned Books Virtual Read-Out by creating videos proclaiming the virtues of the freedom to read that will be featured on a dedicated YouTube channel.

    The criteria and video submission information has been updated since 2011. Check out each page for more information:http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/

    I have always wanted to participate, you can capture some of those "A" with this digital reading of books that are off limits, it makes them more desirable and posting on You tube, you can catch a few more with that hook!

    Thank you for sharing "A" blog. It really shows that you listen which was the essential piece for a bookI read called the Speed of Trust by Steven Covey. The target audience for this book is for CEOs of businesses - this proves that I will read anything. Covey has a way of defining target behaviors to instill greatness in others. Behavior # 13 is Extend Trust.
    The chapter opens up with a quote form Ralph Waldo Emerson "Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly and they will show themselves great. This is you Anne, your students are lucky to have you to develop the greatness inside themselves.


    http://www.amazon.com/SPEED-Trust-Thing-Changes-Everything/dp/1416549005/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374885742&sr=1-1&keywords=speed+of+trust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great resources and the incredible compliment, Wendy:) Any time I can connect to an Emerson quote is a good time in my book:) It is a fantastic quote and a concept at the heart of my teaching.

      As for my "A"s, I will continue to push that proverbial envelope. I love the idea of the virtual read out! I think this particular "A" would love his rebellious voice to be heard!

      anne

      Delete
  2. Anne,

    I really, really like your blog post. As I was reading Newkirk's book I kept thinking to myself, "yes - we should completely and totally let students work based on their interests - but how?" And it's true - it's really hard to get people to do things they think they're not very good at. Maybe it has more to do with how well you can cultivate their curiosity and drive to learn - you did a really great job of letting A take control of what he was learning and what he wanted to learn (interest driven projects- genius!). I love reading about these success stories, especially as a new teacher, because it's another trick I can keep with me - obviously, I know that I should always encourage students as they work, but sometimes it's tough just to get them started. Thanks for the help!

    Emmanuel

    ReplyDelete