Friday, July 19, 2013

Creating Intentionally & Deliberately: Considering Troy Hicks' Crafting Digital Writing

If you haven’t read Troy Hicks's text Crafting Digital Writing yet, do it. 

He starts out with a Sir Ken Robinson (whom I adore) quote from Out of Our Minds: Learning to Be Creative. Hicks cites: “Being creative involves doing something. It would be odd to describe as creative someone who never did anything. To call somebody creative suggests that they are actively producing something in a deliberate way.” It, along with much of Hicks’s Introduction resonates with me—not only with implementing digital strategies with my students, but with implementing much of what forms my professional life.

Intention. Deliberation. We must, as educators, create what we do professionally with intention and deliberation. After all, we create an experience for our students each and every day.

Some might argue that the most creative teachers are those who just go with the flow throwing paint on their pedagogical canvases, that the best art comes from a place of un-intention (and that seems appealing as we add digital brushstrokes to our work). But they would be wrong.

Even the abstract expressionists were intentioned, deliberate.  Listen to my boy Jackson Pollock describe his process:




Pollock talks of how “There is no accident.” I am not asserting we always paint within the lines of the pages upon pages of standardized curriculum (and neither is Hicks if you check out his discussion on the Common Core struggle in Chapter 2) but when we play outside of those lines we must create deliberately. When an incredible “teachable” moment happens or the lesson suddenly opens up to something we had never imagined, we take that—but we must do so with intention, even if that is intention is just to laugh or cry or share. When we allow students to tinker with technology instead of construct a traditional essay, we must do so with intention. Intention doesn’t have to be standards-based, but it has to be meaningful to the life of our classrooms. 

As I continue to reshape my classroom to frame my students’ experiences beyond of squared traditional walls of the building, doing things with intention will continue to push me to evolve. (Feel free to check out my Macbeth--Flipped Out Blog  and the digital result of that work Multimedia Macbeth to see some attempts). Troy Hicks’ idea (adding to Lucy Calkins) to teach-the-writer-then-teach-the-writing-then-teach-the-technology will be something I will constantly remind myself of.

I look forward to creating intentionally & deliberately, and leading by example to make sure my students know exactly why and how I do what I do. Example? I hope to use this blog as a mentor text and explore with them as I decide how to create my own web texts through my posts. In doing so, I (fingers crossed) will continue to foster the awareness of “craft” as they construct their own digital footprints intentionally creating with a deliberate awareness of mode, audience, purpose, and situation--because as Hicks reminds "Students truly have the opportunity to make their voices heard around the world" (59) and I want to help them share that voice meaningfully. 




2 comments:

  1. Anne,

    Great blog post! I really like the idea of using these blogs as a way of leading by example - it makes it clear to the students that you're writing with a specific intent in mind. I also like your piece on Pollock - if artists are being creative, and nothing happens by accident, we too must do the same within our writing. This idea can expand beyond just creative writing, too - into our digital writing, and maybe even in our standardized essays. Writing deliberately and with intent really asks the writer to go into the piece with a plan they want to execute (which ultimately might change, but it prepares them to begin writing nonetheless).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I want your energy and enthusiasm!!

    ReplyDelete